I started at UCLan in 2017 and I studied Interior Design for 4 years at an undergraduate level. In my 2nd and 3rd year I was elected as the Black Asian and Minority Ethnics students representative. In 2020 I won the ABCD (Above and Beyond the Call of Duty) award for my work planning our Black History Month and successfully working alongside the University to hire our first black biracial student counsellor.
My experience in the Students' Union has greatly impacted my university experience in a positive way and I hope to further develop and enhance my skills as your Vice President Welfare this year
Thu 01 Jul 2021
Decolonise the curriculum and improve BAME student experience
- Decolonise the curriculum campaign has been launched
- Workshops on Decolonising the curriculum for reps are being arranged
- Video has been created of students speaking of why they think decolonising the curriculum is important
Create student foodbanks and a grant for students struggling with University related finances.
- created a food hardship survey that will be released at the end of November to get an idea of how much food hardship impacts our students
Ensure student sex workers feel safe and supported
Promote knowledge of sexual consent, safe sex and STIs
- worked alongside the medical centre in order to better promote the sexual health services that they provide which are on the SU website and will be released on socials
- working on a campaign that will promote the necessity of consent and safe sexual practices
Ensure UCLan campus, events and learning resources are accessible
- Have restarted the Disabled students' forum in order to recieve first hand experiences from disbaled students' and work alongside them to increase accessibility on campus
The campaign against gender-based violence
Read a copy of the speech Odette gave at this year's graduations.
Odette reflects on her first 6 weeks as an Officer.