Any student who has either a part time of full-time job is entitled to the same statutory rights as anyone who is not a student
The main statutory rights you have are:
- Getting the National Minimum Wage
- Protection against unlawful deductions from wages
- The statutory minimum level of paid holiday
- The statutory minimum length of rest breaks
- To not work more than 48 hours on average per week or to opt out of this right if they choose
- Protection against unlawful discrimination
- Protection for ‘whistleblowing’ - reporting wrongdoing in the workplace
- To not be treated less favourably if they work part-time
An employer cannot reduce these rights, even if you agree to them doing so, however if you have a contact of employment that gives you addition rights, these will become your rights.
If you think any of these rights are being breached contact the Advice Centre who can look at this for you. You should do this as soon as possible as there are time limits on taking action in Employment Tribunals.
Need advice? Contact one of our Advisors!