Welfare and Benefits

Please note: The information below is subject to change with the introduction of Universal Credit, which is currently being phased in within this area.

Most full-time students are generally not eligible for benefits unless you fit within a certain group such as a single parent, student couple with children, a person with a long-term illness or disability. Benefits are complex, if you are in any doubt please get in touch with us so that one of our trained advisors can help.

If you are receiving benefits before you start university, you must inform DWP/Local Authority of your university enrolment immediately.

Our advisors can offer help and advice on a variety of benefits including:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Support
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowances
  • Working and Child Tax Credits

Remember when applying for any means tested benefits, student loans and grants are taken into account as income during the academic year, which may reduce any money you may receive. However during the long summer vacation, these are ignored so you may want to reapply in June.


Disclaimer: The Advice and Representation Centre makes every effort to ensure that our web pages are accurate and up to date but regulations and procedures are subject to changes. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss, damage or inconvenience suffered as a result of using our pages. For more information click here.