Contact an Advisor

Free, Independent & Confidential Advice.

As an Advice Service, we are often asked several similar questions, please look at the following Frequently Asked Questions, to see if any of these apply to you.

Reading and considering these answers where suitable will ensure we can provide you with a better service.



Academic Appeals


A first stage appeal needs to be submitted within 10 working days of the academic board confirming your mark.

The appeal would need to be based on at least one of the following grounds:

  1. That an Assessment Board has given insufficient weight to extenuating circumstances.
  2. That the student’s academic performance has been adversely affected by illness or other factors which the student has for good reason been unable to make known to the Assessment Board.
  3. That there has been a material administrative error at a stage of the examining process, or that some material irregularities have occurred.
  4. That the assessment procedure and/or examinations have not been conducted in accordance with the approved regulations.

You should also note that questioning the judgement of the marker is not a valid reason for appeal.

Evidence will also need to be supplied where appropriate.

For further Frequently asked questions on submitting an appeal, please click here:

Academic enquiry


This will depend on the meeting; however, we can only attend meetings with students were we are fully aware of their case and have been able to discuss this with the student beforehand.

Please therefore send the invite and any evidence you receive, along with details of the case from your point of view, as soon as you receive notification of the meeting.

Please also note that attendance at meeting is diary permitting, so if no advisers are available, we may ask you to reschedule the meeting.


The application for these are on the student hub. Please note you need to be logged on to your student account to access this.

Academic misconduct


You need to wait until you receive the invitation to a meeting, then you should send that to the advice service attached to the enquiry form.

We also need to see the turn it in report or any other evidence that is sent with the invite.

If you haven’t received this, you should contact to request it.


What is academic miscounduct?

Academic misconduct covers Plagiarism. Collusion and Cheating and Commissioning of Work and there are 4 levels of this, dependant of the suspected severity of the case.

Plagiarism is where a student has used work that is not their own and has not correctly attributed this. This can be where work has been copied from another source, where no reference or incorrect references have been used or where quotation marks have not been used. This can also cover re-presentation of your own work, if you have previously submitted this work and received an academic credit for it.

Collusion is where 2 or more students have worked together, or had access to each other’s work, either with or without permission. All students involved in this will be questioned as university regulation state that you should not share work and students have a duty to keep their own work safe.

Cheating this is usually a suspicion of wrong doing in exams, either in person or on line, and is often flagged by exam software or an invigilator. We will need to see all evidence to advise.

Commissioning this is where the University suspect that you have submitted work that someone else has done for you. This can be friends, other students, or outside organisations like essay mills. Money does not have to have been exchanged for this to be classed as commissioning. This is seen as very serious by the university, and will be looked at as the most serious for of academic misconduct-category 4. If found to be intentional commissioning the regulation state that the student must be withdrawn or expelled from university.


What will the outcome be if a case of academic miscounduct is found?

This will depend on the level of academic misconduct that is being investigated and if you have had any previous instances of academic misconduct.

However, once you have received the invite to the meeting and the evidence sent with it, an adviser will be able to look over this and let you know of the possible outcomes.

However, this can take some time, so please complete the enquiry form with all of the information as soon as you receive the notification.

For more information visit our Adacemic Issues page

Disciplinary and Fitness to practice


These cases can result in serious consequences for students, so the Advice Team will need time to discuss the case with you and provide advice.

Please complete the enquiry form as soon as you receive any information.

We need to see all correspondence that you have had with the university and also have full details of the issues from your point of view. An adviser will then be in touch.

For more information visit our Adacemic Issues page



The University has a 3 step complaints process, which the advice service can advise on.

Please complete the enquiry form giving full details of your complaint and providing all correspondence with the university relating to this.

For more information visit our Adacemic Issues page



As Students’ Union we do not have access to university systems or student records, so cannot check your fees or agree a payment plan. You should contact the Customer Accounts Department in the University directly


We often get asked lots of other questions about other non-university matters.

This could include how to claim council tax exemption forms, information on hardship loans or how to find a property for next year.

For some simple answers to all these questions please click here:



Is there anything wrong with this page? Let us know