#3 - 3rd February 2012
Six Nations Colcannon
Makes enough for 2-3 people, experiment with this dish and let us know what you recommend to add for the next match meal.
1 1/2 to 2 large potatoes
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
300g thinly sliced cabbage or spring greens
- Grated Cheese
- ANYTHING YOU FANCY
1. Peel the potatoes, and cut them into 1-inch pieces.
2. Put the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with salted water, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until tender.
3. While the potatoes are simmering, melt about 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.
4. Add the cabbage, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage begins to soften. (If you want any bacon, mushrooms, chorizo add here so the flavour mixes)
5. Reduce the heat to medium or medium-low, cover the pan, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is very tender (and optional extras are cooked properly)
6. When the potatoes are ready, drain them in a colander, and then turn them into a bowl.
7. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the potatoes, allow to melt for a minute or two, and then mash. (Add grated cheese here if you want)
8. Stir in the milk and the cabbage, and season to taste